Monday, February 20, 2006

First ramble

where do I begin? so much to say, and not sure how to start.

About 3 days ago, I made a friend online. How gauche. But to my chagrin, it was astonishingly easy. I thought only geeks, dorks or losers made friends online. Even though I still find it a bit dodgy, I was pleasantly surprised. His name is Jordan Macvey, and a friendlier fellow I haven't met in some time. He's from Canada, is a Muslim convert (not that that matters really...), and is living with his Malay wife in dirty old China. He's the head of the Foreign Languages Dept at a local school/college/university there. Not sure of the latter. He's a damn nice bloke to be stuck there if you ask me. Then again, everyone has the opposite sort of 'yellow fever' the west was so scared of all those years ago. Nowadays, everyone is jumping through hoops to please them, and before it was napalm. Not the chinese, but we White people like to lump everyone together... makes generalising much easier!
Not that Jordan is trying to please them. He's getting to the point where he's 'been there, done that', and looking forward to leaving. So good luck to you Jordan, and let me know if I can do anything to expedite that departure!

So there you have it. My first online buddy. Well done, pat on the back, but don't make a habit of it. There are appearances to keep up. We didn't become this civilised only to ruin it with this sort of carry on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of converts...welcome to the blogging world! Hehe...another one joins our ranks.
Well, no worries, I\'ll be back in Malaysia soon enough, and in the meantime you can educate me in the finer points of rugby online so we can yell at the screen together when I get back. I guess this means I\'ll have to be an All Blacks fan.
Looking forward to reading your ramblings!
Cheers!