Monday, May 07, 2007

street names

A loooong time ago, in fact the first week I moved here to little ol' Sitiawan, I encountered a uniquely Malaysian problem. Street names, or the lack of them.

I was looking for some food for my darling wife, and was a little lost. I rang her and she asked me where I was. I looked, looked and looked for a road sign. None. Malaysians aren't too fond of naming roads. And when they do, they put the sign rather low, so that if a car is parked in front of it, you would be hard pressed to see it.

However, fortune was on my side, and I saw the sign I was looking for. I told Dee 'Jalan Sehala', thinking I was rather clever... she said 'yeah, but where?' 'Jalan Sehala woman!' 'Do you know how many 'Jalan Sehala' there are??? That means one-way white man!'... needless to say I was still lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holla! It's me, the very-first to leave a comment. This post is interestingly funny! I wondered why there were still no comments on "street names". Well, Jake, this's a very typical phenomenon can be seen in almost everywhere in Malaysia. So, just accept the fact-"LAH" (another Malaysian problem - the way of speaking). LOL! Liked your blog sooooo much. Keep up your awesome blog!

Ciao,
Shiang Shen (Your student)

Anonymous said...

*rolling on floor laughing out loud*

Anonymous said...

Well said.