Tuesday, March 28, 2006

education is a must?

Gidday,

Back to work today, and I'm busy again. That's good, cos I don't want to get bored...

We had a great time again in KL, but more tiring this time. Went up to Genting Highlands for some fun, and it was, until my daughter and the maid got lost for an hour and a half... almost ready to call the cops when I finally found them. I had been wandering around the whole place in shoes that aren't meant for walking in, so the last couple of days I've had extremely sore legs and shins...

So, been thinking about what I am good at, and what I should study, if anything. I still have the belief that too much paper education actually slows you down and limits your ability to look for the best solution... but there is a need inside me to prove I can get a degree, and I want to give my wife and kids a great lifestyle and in Asia, street-smarts are not valued. I am in a conundrum. I firmly believe that anyone can make it, so long as a few basic requirements are in place:
1. The government allows people to have a go equally, and meritocracy is the name of the game.
2. You can read, write, think outside the square and read between the lines.
3. No-one forces you to do or study something you are either no good at, or hate.
4. People should believe in hard work, not names or status.

We all have heard of the richest, most famous so-and-so who made it without any university degree etc. I still reckon I can too, and indeed my 'exit strategy' has no need for a degree, but in order to get the start I believe I can get, I seem to not have enough gumption or 'nous'. So I am willing to go to university to learn all I need to give me the push I need. Is that a waste of money or a good investment? Only time will tell. I don't gamble, and this is a gamble as far as I can see, because could I put that money into a new business or is it better spent investing in property or on a degree? I understand all sides, and pressure to do one thing or another is always there; but I know I can't do what some people DO do with their money, simply because I don't have the financial education...

If any of you have read 'rich dad, poor dad' you'll know what I'm feeling. I am working on my financial education every day, but being married with kids, you can't gamble with the families food money, and if you make a mistake the kids might not get to eat! So my level of risk taking is low. This makes me want a 'safe, secure job', and in this day and age there is no such thing...

What a predicament. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

De Kiwi said...

I think going for the degree would be a good move, although these days every Joe Blog has a degree already.
I guess it really depends what you want to do with your life. They say sometimes you don't need a degree to get rich, but for every one of those i'll bet there's a 1000 who got rich because they got a degree. It's all a matter of opportunity cost. I would suggest prayer and seeking God's will, but you may not see the wisdom in doing that :) Take care Jake :)

gRaCeY said...

Aye!

Maybe you could get a Master's straight. Don't know how to explain it here, but there are courses for those who have never had a degree but do have working experiences and need paper qualification because they never did. See you soon ang moh! :)

Anonymous said...

Dude....

Life is short. Really the key to the goal that you seek is planning and following the plan. In fact I see no real advantage to either side of the degree/no degree conundrum. I think it is more about deciding what you want to do and doing it with blind intensity.

For example if you want to start your own grocery store... having a degree is absolutely not important, but if you want to be a computer programming consultant a degree is a pre-requisite.

What I'm saying is take some time to come up with a high level plan on what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it. At first don't get bogged down in all the how's and the minutia, just try to figure out what it is that you really like to do, focus on that and then you will figure out a way to make it profitable and then you'll get out of the rate race...

Or just rob a bank....

Cheers :)