Monday, November 27, 2006

Why oh why didn't they just stick to singing...

Well I was right again. Wales got a hiding, and they got one after deliberately snubbing the Haka, one of the few genuine theatrical moments in rugby. The Haka isn't a commercial gimmick - it's the soul of the All Blacks. You just don't mess with it, cos really nasty, painful things happen to you - on the field, and with your pride.

I used to have respect for the Welsh, since they are about the only other country in the world where rugby is their national sport - but after they decided to 'move' the Haka from after the national anthems to in-between them, with the All Blacks deciding to retort by doing the venerable Haka in the dressing room, I have to say I'm very disappointed. Now, I am a fair-minded sort of chap, and I had a giggle at the thought of 22 very upset muscular guys doing a war chant facing a concrete slab wall, but, I also saw the point both sides were trying to make. Wales knew they couldn't beat the All Blacks, so resorted to all sorts of tricks to take away the psycological edge... well that worked didn't it.

They got thoroughly pasted 45-10.

So much for helping your team. You just made the All Blacks more angry. NOT a very bright idea. Twit.

No comments: